The ASEF Summer University (ASEFSU)* is a 2-week fully funded experiential learning journey (12-23 September 2018) and “Interdisciplinary Innovation” for students and young professionals. Designed to foster cross-cultural exchanges and networks among youth from ASEM countries, it offers opportunities for students and young professionals to broaden their horizons, deepen their knowledge on contemporary issues and propose concrete solutions to pressing societal challenges.
ASEFSU takes place on an annual basis, each year tackling a different theme of socio-political concern within Asia and Europe. ASEFSU makes a positive impact within ASEM societies as it offers tangible results and daring proposals for innovation, and promotes sustainable development.
Key characteristics of ASEFSU:
- Engagement and collaboration of youth from 51 Asian and European countries with local ASEM communities, governments and businesses
- Fusion of theoretical and practical programme components, leading up to an Interdisciplinary Innovathon and competition
- Youth perspectives and solutions on pressing societal issues, practically contributing to the ASEM process, national agendas from Asian and European countries, the UN Sustainable Development Goals and society at large.
ASEFSU22 will focus on the 3 Dimensions of Sustainable Development:
- Economic, including Sustainable Transport, Youth Employment, and Sustainable Consumption & Production
- Social, including Cultural Heritage, Inclusion, and Interactions with Locals
- Environmental, including Water & Waste Management, Renewable Energy, and Technology
The ASEFSU22 consists of 3 phases:
Phase 1: Online Preparatory phase (4 weeks):
In this phase, you will actively take part in an online preparatory phase to familiarise with the topics of the project. As part of it you will attend online webinars on topics ranging from Tourism & the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to International Relations & ASEM, and you will work on individual as well as group assignments.
Phase 2: "Interdisciplinary Innovation" in Croatia & Slovenia (2 weeks):
The 1-week programme in Slovenia offers you trainings, workshops, lectures and study visits to develop your understanding of the themes covered by the project. In Croatia you will go from theory to practice as you are given the opportunity to co-develop and test solutions to environmental, tourism and youth employment challenges faced by local authorities, businesses and civil society organizations in the region.
Phase 3: Online Post-project Phase and Spin-off activities (4 weeks):
All prototypes developed on site – analogue and digital – will be analyzed and tested after the project by relevant stakeholders and communities engaged. In addition, the project’s best-performing participants will be invited to present the outcomes at high-level ASEM Ministerial Meetings and other vents.
For more information please visit: