Prof. Dr. Tayyeb Akram, Director CIIT-Wah, Dr. Asma Younas, Principal Scientific Officer, UNESCO Chair on Knowledge Systems for IWRM, Dr. Tamkeen Fatima Jafri, Assistant professor Management Sciences Department participated in the International workshop organized by UNESCO and PMD on “Standardizing Flood Forecasting and Warning Approaches in Transboundary Catchments” at Lahore.
A detailed introduction of the UNESCO Water Chair, its mandate, mission, achievements, current activities and future plans was given by Dr. Asma. The experts from Irrigation Departments of Pakistan, Professors from distinguished universities in Pakistan and Japan appreciated this initiative and intended to extend their support to UNESCO Water Chair for the achievement of its mandate.
The recommendations given by the participants in the workshop are:
- Impart training to young professionals, relevant departments and local stakeholders
- Sensitivity analysis and authenticity of the ground data need to be further considered
- Capacity building at the grass root level to the top is required to develop ownership
- Training on flood management alternatives should include flood preparedness
- Climate resilience measures need to be included as part of the integrated flood management training of local communities
- Training of data collectors to standardize data
View Photo Gallery