The Cisco® Networking Academy® CCNA® Security course provides a next step for individuals who want to enhance their CCNA-level skill set and help meet the growing demand for network security professionals. The curriculum provides an introduction to the core security concepts and skills needed for the installation, troubleshooting, and monitoring of network devices to maintain the integrity, confidentiality, and availability of data and devices.
CCNA Security is a hands-on, career-oriented e-learning solution with an emphasis on practical experience to help students develop specialized security skills, along with critical thinking and complex problem solving skills. The curriculum helps prepare students for entry-level security career opportunities and the globally recognized Cisco CCNA Security certification, which helps students differentiate themselves in the marketplace with specialist skills to advance their careers.
CCNA Security provides an in-depth, theoretical, and hands-on introduction to network security, in a logical sequence driven by technologies. CCNA Security includes the following features:
- Students develop an in-depth, theoretical understanding of network security principles as well as the tools and configurations available.
- The courses emphasize the practical application of skills needed to design, implement, and support network security.
- Hands-on labs help students develop critical thinking and complex problem-solving skills.
- Packet Tracer simulation-based learning activities promote the exploration of networking security concepts and allow students to experiment with network behavior and ask “what if” questions.
- Innovative assessments provide immediate feedback to support the evaluation of knowledge and acquired skills.
CCNA Security has no Networking Academy course prerequisites. Students should have the following skills and knowledge:
- Basic PC skills such as typing, mouse, and desktop navigation skills
- Basic Internet navigation skills
- CCNA-level networking concepts and skills
While there are no required course prerequisites, students are encouraged to complete the CCNA Discovery or CCNA Exploration curricula to acquire the fundamental CCNA-level routing and switching skills needed for success in this course.
CCNA Security aims to develop an in-depth understanding of network security principles as well as the tools and configurations available. The course covers the following concepts:
- Protocol sniffers/analyzers
- TCP/IP and common desktop utilities
- Cisco IOS® Software
- Cisco VPN client
- Packet Tracer
- Web-based resources
Various types of hands-on labs provide practical experience, including procedural and troubleshooting labs, skills integration challenges, and model building. The curriculum also includes Packet Tracer-based skills integration challenges that build throughout the course and lead to an “exam-like” culminating activity in the last chapter.
Upon completion of the CCNA Security course, students will be able to perform the following tasks:
- Describe the security threats facing modern network infrastructures
- Secure network device access
- Implement AAA on network devices
- Mitigate threats to networks using ACLs
- Implement secure network management and reporting
- Mitigate common Layer 2 attacks
- Implement the Cisco IOS firewall feature set
- Implement the Cisco IOS IPS feature set
- Implement site-to-site IPSec VPNs
- Administer effective security policies