As one of its contributions to development co-operation, K.U. Leuven offers IRO (Interfaculty Council for Development Co-operation) scholarships to deserving students from developing countries to do their PhD in the largest university in Flanders, Belgium.
Course Level: Doctoral Degree (PhD)
Subject(s): The KU Leuven Research Portal can be a good starting point to search for professors, topics and disciplines.
Grants: The scholarship includes waived tuition fees, monthly allowance, installation allowance, health insurance, accidental insurance and return flight tickets.
Eligibility: The applicant must be a citizen of one of the countries on the OCDE DAC table that are considered as: Least Developed Countries, Low Income Countries or Low Middle Income Countries.
- The applicant may not possess a citizenship from an EU country. The applicant may not possess a long-term EU residence permit.
- The candidate’s latest master’s degree must have been awarded no more than ten years prior to 1 October 2018 (including the ongoing calendar year).
- The candidate must hold an academic qualification at least equivalent to a high distinction. Degrees obtained with a final score equivalent to second class second/lower division will not be taken into consideration.
- The research project must have excellent academic quality, with a special focus on the development relevance of the proposal.
- The vacancies that are published on the KU Leuven website are already funded and thus, cannot participate for this scholarship.
- The candidate must demonstrate a development-oriented motivation.
- The candidate must be supported by a KU Leuven promoter.
- The candidate must be supported by a local co-promoter at the candidate’s home country to ensure embeddedness of the research within the country’s context.
- The candidate must be supported by excellent recommendations from relevant referees.
Deadline: 31 Jan 2018 (annual)
For more detail about eligibility and how to apply, please visit: http://www.kuleuven.be/english/international/funding/iro