About the Library
CIIT Library is vital to the education mission of COMSATS Institute of Information Technology. Overall objective of the library is to select, organize, and maintain print and electronic resources that support the curriculum and information needs of CIIT academic community.
Working in partnership with faculty, staff and students, library provides convenient access to quality information resources, and an environment that encourages study and personal growth. Library also provides information services which are customized to individual needs and which recognize their information requirements.
Library’s colorful interior and innovative furniture makes it stunning and provide refreshing and rejoicing environment, which attracts users and compel them to spend time and study in relaxing and conducive environment. Research cubicles, study carrels and discussion rooms provide excellent environment for individual and group study.
This is a lending library and is playing a vital role in increasing research output of CIIT by helping faculty and students in their research work through its organized information resources.
Gathering information, organizing it in such a way that it can be retrieved effectively, making it accessible, and disseminating this information to the relevant users are the major functions of the library.
The process of equipping this library with most modern technologies like RFID System and Library Management System is in progress and once fully operational will provide users facilities like;
- Self check in and check out for borrowing and returning of library material
- Drop box for returning of borrowed library material
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC) of library resources
- Online booking and reservation of library material
- Digital Library
- Electronic Journals and Databases
- Audio/Visual Facilities
- Dedicated computer systems for research and use for digital and electronic resources
- Wireless Internet Connection
Video conferencing room is another unique feature of this library. Equipped with latest audio video equipment and with a capacity of accommodating 58 people, this facility provides excellent opportunity of remotely organizing and participating in lectures, workshops, seminars, discussions and meetings, in a cost effective manner.
The library aims to support the academic work by providing right information to the right people at right time including students, faculty and staff of CIIT, Islamabad Campus.
- To serve the advancement of teaching, learning and research within the institution by providing solutions to the information needs of our clients through efficient, effective and innovative services.
- To bring the much dreamed advancement in our society through information technology, which will change the lives of our people for ever.
- Let’s grow together. Let’s learn, teach, share and support each other
Library intends to achieve this by;
- Equipping our students with ideas and skills for making a difference in our society and becoming the real agent of change
- Bringing novel ideas, unmatchable products and unsurpassable services to set standards for others
- Strategic partnership with knowledge organizations in general and industry in particular
- Providing a supporting and enabling environment to the talented faculty and outstanding students. This will produce graduates who can distinguish themselves by their professional competence, humanistic outlook, ethical rectitude, pragmatic approach to problem solving, and other organizational and managerial skills
The library, using its allocated resources accomplices as its mission through its following activities;
- To encourage learning by creating learning community and promoting information competency in its constituency by
- Creating a learning environment and experiences that produce competency in the use of resources and in research methodologies
- Designing instructional services and programs that foster learning and collaboration with faculty in other academic units of CIIT
- Offering customer oriented assistance in selecting, locating and using resources
- Providing appropriate access to resources by all of its patrons
- To provide access to recorded knowledge and information resources by
- Acquiring balanced information and knowledge resources to support CIIT’s academic programs
- Providing fast and timely access to local and international books and information resources
- Participating in resource sharing programs, including cooperative purchasing for all centres, mutual library use, inter library loan, and document delivery services
- To provide infrastructure for supporting information needs of the users by
- Providing books, periodicals and journals using information technology to meet changing information needs of the users
- Providing well-equipped and secure facilities that encourage study and learning
- Marinating suitable number of workstations to support the use of IT services like computing, printing, scanning, photocopying and internet etc.
- Developing a consistent, easy to use and identifiable interface to library resources for use through internet
- As a dynamic organization that evolves to meet changing needs by
- Assessing its effectiveness in a variety of ways including periodic user’s needs and satisfaction surveys
- Building an organizational structure that anticipates changing information technologies to meet patrons needs and expectations
- Encouraging professional growth and career development of its staff